The directions below assume that Simple File Sharing on your computer is off. To turn off Simple File Sharing or to verify that Simple File Sharing is turned off do the following:
- Open your My Computer folder
- Open the Tools -> Folder Options... menu dialog
- Click on the View tab
- Scroll the list of items in the Advanced Settings list and look at the very bottom item -- The very last item is titled "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"
- Remove any checkmark next to "Use simple file sharing"
- Click the OK button to save your changes
Determine Web Service Name
Vine Type stores your website information -- the text displayed on the pages, the section names, etc. in a couple of files located in the db folder on your web server. By default Microsoft does not allow web servers the ability to change files on the web server, but this is required for Vine Type to maintain content of your website.
You will need to make a settings change to allow your web server to update files in the db folder.
I can tell you the name of the folder, but I cannot tell you for certain the name of the service on your computer that needs permission. Depending on the version of IIS, the version of Windows and the web server settings, the name of the web service varies.
So to find out the name of the service on your web server, we're going to cause an error message to be displayed. The error message has been especially designed to assist us in this step.
- Open up your web browser and enter the URL of your Vine Type website.
- At the bottom of the page, it shows a form. Fill out the form with your name, email, etc.
- Click Post Comment
- Vine Type attempted to save this comment into the db folder but failed because we haven't yet allowed it the ability to save changes.
- Read the error message and it will name the service that your webserver is using for updates.
- Note the name of the service -- we'll need it very soon
Set Folder Permission
Now, using Windows Explorer, locate the db folder that you unzipped in Step 1 and do the following:
- Right-Click the db folder icon and from the pop-up menu click Properties
- Click the Security tab
- Click the Add... button
- In the Enter the object names to select text area, type in the name of the service we identified above.
- Click the Check Names button to ensure that the computer recognizes the name you typed in. If it does not recognize the name, check your spelling and try again until it recognizes the name and displays it underlined in the text area
- Click the OK button. The service should now have an entry in the Group or user names list
- Select the service name entry by clicking on it in the Groups or user names list
- In the Allow column, place a checkmark in the box next to Full Control
- Click the OK button